As the link between patients and medicine, pharmacists must be experts on prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications, understanding use, side effects and mixtures of medicine. These are the top pharmacy schools. Each school’s score reflects its average rating on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding), based on a survey of academics at peer institutions.
All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys.
Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). They were instructed to select “don’t know” if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear in the rankings.
U.S. News conducted a survey for one discipline in fall 2017 for the ranking calculated and published in 2018:
- 251 Master of Social Work programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education (response rate: 53 percent).
The National Association of Deans and Directors of Schools of Social Work supplied U.S. News with the names of all respondents for the social work survey.
The market research firm Ipsos Public Affairs conducted surveys for eight disciplines in fall 2015 for the rankings calculated and published in 2016. Those surveyed were:
- 125 Doctor of Pharmacy programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (response rate: 40 percent).
- 224 doctoral programs in clinical psychology accredited by the American Psychological Association (21 percent).
- 164 graduate programs in occupational therapy accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association (41 percent).
- 74 audiology programs and 249 speech-language pathology programs accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (58 percent and 33 percent, respectively).
- 217 physical therapy programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (39 percent).
- 39 graduate programs in nurse midwifery accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (62 percent).
- 112 graduate programs in nurse anesthesia accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (54 percent).
Ipsos Public Affairs conducted surveys for five disciplines in fall 2014 for rankings calculated and published in 2015. Those surveyed were:
- 50 schools of public health accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (response rate: 59 percent).
- 71 health care management programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (57 percent).
- 154 physician assistant programs accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (50 percent).
- 88 rehabilitation counselor education programs accredited by the Commission on Standards and Accreditation: Council on Rehabilitation Education (38 percent).
- 28 veterinary schools accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (49 percent).
Schools in the health rankings, which are based solely on the five-point peer assessment score, are numerically ranked down to a peer assessment score of 2.0. Schools with scores less than 2.0 are listed in alphabetical order as Rank Not Published.
Rank Not Published means that U.S. News calculated a numerical rank for that program but decided for editorial reasons not to publish it. U.S. News will supply programs listed as Rank Not Published with their numerical ranks if they submit a request following the procedures listed in the Information for School Officials.
If a program is listed as Unranked, that means U.S. News did not calculate a numerical rank for that program. The program did not have the accreditation status needed to be ranked at the time the ranking was originally published. Programs marked as Unranked are listed in alphabetical order below those marked as Rank Not Published.